Earth Class – Year 2
Welcome to Earth Class, my name is Mr Kelly and I will be teaching your child this academic year. The support staff in Earth Class are Mrs Wall, Mrs Hanifan and Mrs Hedderson. I am very pleased to say that the children in Earth Class have already got off to a terrific start and are all settling in really well.
We have such an exciting term ahead!
This first half term we will be focusing on two engaging and exciting topics: ‘Where I live’ is our Geography topic and ‘Every Day Materials’ is our science topic. During our ‘Where I live’ topic the children will be learning about the seven continents and five oceans of the world and identifying each one on a world map. They will locate the UK on a world map and identify it as being a country within Europe. In our ‘Everyday materials’ topic children will be for grouping and categorising familiar materials.
We will be learning lots of new songs as part of our Charanga music scheme and using our classroom instruments to go alongside this.
In English, we follow a scheme called PM writing. We will begin by hearing, reading and writing fairy tales and stories with patterns and or rhyme. In Maths, we will be practicing a range of skills including place-value (understanding the value of each digit in a number). We will also practice these skills for homework which will be available on maths shed each week – to access this, you will find your child’s username and password in their reading records. Throughout the year, we will be practicing our 2, 5 and 10 times tables. Please practice these regularly at home.
- Please ensure your child’s PE kit is in school each week. They will be sent home at the end of each half term to be washed and returned to school. Our PE days are Tuesday and Friday.
- Children must read each night and their reading record should be signed by an adult each day.
- A spelling test will be done on Friday for the spellings that have been set on the previous week’s homework.
- Homework will be sent home on a Thursday and needs to be returned by the following Wednesday to ensure it is marked.
- Please ensure your child has a school water bottle which can be purchased at the office. Children will receive a piece of fruit each day at break time.
Thank-you for your ongoing support! We all really appreciate it.
Please click the link below to see what your child is doing each day: