Mercury -Year 1
Welcome to Mercury Class!
My name is Ms Haylett and I am your child’s class teacher and Ms Cameron is our class teaching assistant. We have a wonderful year of learning ahead and I am looking forward to working with you all.
For English we follow a scheme called PM writing. This is a very engaging scheme of work designed to get children writing independently. We are starting the term off with writing recounts and doing some descriptive writing, encouraging the children to think and write confidently. Some of the ways you could help your child at home is to use the framework for description we use when completing work asking your child to think of a size, number, colour, shape, texture or doing sentence. For example, the bus is red with square windows. It is enormous and feels very hard. The driver is taking the passengers to work. This will help them to be more independent when we come to writing our own pieces of work.
This term in Topic we will be focusing on ‘The Four Seasons’ followed by ‘Homes in the Past’. Whilst learning about the four seasons we will be identifying changes we notice in, the weather, nature, our clothing and animals. This will then follow with ‘Homes in our Past’, where we will be investigating the differences between homes in the past and homes in the present.
In Science it closely links with what we were learning in Topic, ‘The Changing Seasons’. We will be looking at how animals adjust to changes in the weather, how some migrate to warmer places, some hibernate and others adapt to the changes. Then we are studying the body, thinking about the senses we have and what we use them for.
In music we follow a scheme called Charanga, it is a very engaging and immersive way of studying music. We think about pitch, pulse and rhythm and sing along to songs from the past and present. The children will also be playing with instruments and we will be thinking about the sounds they can hear.
Maths will see us developing our number skills exploring addition, subtraction, shapes, time, patterns as well as many other exciting topics. We will also be exploring these topics for our homework each week. The log in details will be available in your child’s reading records.
Our first topic in RE this term is St. John Evangelist followed by Family, things which are very important to us here at SJE.
- Our PE days are Tuesday and Thursday please make sure your child has a full PE kit.
- Homework will be sent home on Thursdays, please make sure it is returned no later than the following Wednesday.
- Our poem of the week book will go home on a Friday, this has the poem that we have been learning all week and should return on Monday.
- Children must read each night and their reading record must be signed by an adult.
- A spelling test will be done on Friday for the spellings that have been set on the previous week’s homework.
- Please ensure your child has a clear school water bottle which can be purchased at the office. Children will receive a piece of fruit each day at break time.
Thank-you for your ongoing support! We all really appreciate it.