Saturn – Year 4 & 5
Welcome to Saturn Class!
My name is Miss Barker and I am your child’s class teacher. We also have Mrs Douglas and Mrs Khodja supporting us with our learning.
We are very excited to start our learning journey in September.
In English, we will be exploring the meeting tale ‘This Morning I Met a Whale’ based on the story by Michael Morpurgo and we will then move on to using persuasive language.
In reading, we will be focusing on narrative, persuasive, informative, poetry and non-fiction texts. Your child will have a weekly reading session with the teacher and will have a comment in their reading book with how you can support them further at home. Children will need to complete 20 minutes of reading every evening with an adult. This will be either a book from the classroom or an online text on ‘Bug Club’. In Saturn children need to write a comment in their reading records themselves and then have this signed by an adult.
Our topic this term is ‘Ancient Greeks’ where we will be looking at lots of artifacts and resources to help us understand the lifestyles of the Ancient Greeks.
In Science, we will be looking at properties and changes of materials. This is a great topic as we will be carrying out a number of investigations to develop our learning.
In RE, we have two topics this term which are ‘Ourselves’ and ‘Life Choices’. We will be focusing on qualities, talents, memories and the Eucharist.
In Spanish, we will be looking at the topic ‘all about us’.
- Children must bring in a PE kit which can be kept in their lockers.
- Children must also bring in their own water bottles.
- Children must read and have their reading record signed every night. If this isn’t completed more than twice in a week, then your child will miss playtime to read.
- PE with Mr Slade (Sport’s Coach) is on a Tuesday.
- PE with the Arsenal Coaches is on a Thursday.
- Homework will be set on Google Classroom on a Thursday and needs to completed and handed in on a Wednesday.
Please speak to me if you have any concerns regarding your child over the next term and thank you for your continued support.