Venus – Year 1 & 2
Welcome to Venus Class!
My name is Miss Hanifin and I am your child’s class teacher. Ms Hines is our class TA and Ms Carrington is a 1:1 TA in Venus Class. This term is an exciting and busy term for us.
This term we will be focusing on two engaging and exciting topics: Where we live and Communication Then and Now. During our ‘Where We Live’ topic, we will be looking at identifying our local area, London and the countries within United Kingdom. When studying our Communication Then and Now topic we will be developing our history skills.
As part of our Science topic we will be exploring everyday materials and finding out why certain materials are used for a particular purpose.
We will be learning lots of new songs as part of our Charanga scheme and using our classroom instruments to go alongside this.
In English, we are following a scheme called PM writing and T4W. We are looking at description texts, procedure texts, information reports and narratives.
In Maths, we will be practicing a range of skills including number, place value and money. We will also reinforce and consolidate these skills in Mathshed homework every week-to access this, you will find your child’s username and password in the front of their reading record. Throughout the year, we will be practicing our 2, 5 and 10 times tables. Please practise these regularly at home.
- Please ensure your child’s PE kit is in school each week. They will be sent home at the end of each half term to be washed and returned to school. Our PE days are on Wednesday and Friday.
- Children must read each night and their reading record should be signed by an adult each day.
- A spelling test will be done on Friday for the spellings that have been set on the previous week’s homework.
- Homework will be set every Thursday and needs to be returned by Wednesday the following week in order to be marked.
- Please ensure your child has a clear school water bottle which can be purchased at the office for £1.50. Children will receive a snack each day at break time.
Thank-you for your ongoing support! We all really appreciate it.
Please click on the link below to see what we will be doing each day: